Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Welcome (back), Summar Ghias!


As a journalist turned social worker, I first heard of the complex business of human trafficking as a reporter. One career change, two years of graduate school and one international endeavor to raise awareness later, I find myself committed to finding comprehensive, collaborative, and systemic solutions for survivors of human trafficking both here and across the world.

In my second year of graduate school at the University of Chicago’s School of Social Service Administration, I came to IOFA as a program development intern eager to work with local anti-trafficking efforts. The experience gave me the necessary insight to more critically examine various political, economic and contextual climates that impede service delivery. It also better prepared me for what continues to be a challenging road to effective identification, recovery, and rehabilitation.

Now, as IOFA’s new program coordinator, I’m thrilled to pick up where I left off. My work with IOFA will include providing technical assistance to the Cook County Human Trafficking Task Force and assisting in the New York ChildRight project, which involves strategically strengthening the child welfare response to human trafficking throughout the state. I look forward to it!




Summar Ghias,
Program Coordinator, IOFA

No comments:

Post a Comment